Applying to Kellogg
For International Candidates
Contact Admissions Office
- Kellogg’s purpose is to educate, equip & inspire brave leaders who create lasting value. Tell us about a time you have demonstrated leadership and created lasting value. What challenges did you face, and what did you learn? (450 words)
- Pursuing an MBA is a catalyst for personal and professional growth. How have you grown in the past? How do you intend to grow at Kellogg? (450 words)
Certain applicants will respond to additional questions:
- Dual-degree applicants: For applicants to the MMM or JD-MBA dual degree programs, please explain why that program is right for you. (250 words)
- Re-applicants: Since your previous application, what steps have you taken to strengthen your candidacy? (250 word limit)
- If needed, use this section to briefly describe any extenuating circumstances (e.g. unexplained gaps in work experience, choice of recommenders, inconsistent or questionable academic performance, etc.) (no word count)
- After submitting an application and payment, you will be able to access the video essay through your application status page. One question will be a “get to know you" icebreaker type of question. The second question will be an opportunity to describe your plans for the future and how Kellogg will help you on that journey. The other questions will be randomly generated questions that will be similar to interview questions.
- There are practice questions that you may complete as many times as you like to get comfortable with the format and technology. The practice questions and experience will simulate the actual video essay experience, so this is meant to be a useful tool to help you feel prepared.
- We encourage you to practice so you are comfortable with the format once it is time to complete the official questions. There is not an opportunity to re-do the answer to the official video essay questions.
- You will have 20 seconds to think about the question and up to one minute to give your response.
- We estimate the video essays will take 20-25 minutes to complete – which includes time for set-up and answering all the practice questions. You will need an internet connected computer with a webcam, microphone and an updated version of Adobe Flash in order to complete the video essay.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Why does Kellogg have a video essay?
A: Student culture is hugely important at Kellogg. So we want to meet everyone. EVERYONE. We use the video essays as additional information to the application. It is the last thing we review when reading an application. It gives us a sense of your personality and allows us to get to know you in a more personal way than we can through your essays.
Q: What makes a good video essay?
A: Be yourself. We don't want scripted answers - we want to get to know you and learn something new. Please do not try to reuse an example from an essay that might in some roundabout way answer the video essay question you are being asked (and we already read that essay, so why tell us that story again?). Think about your answer and prepare ahead of time, but when you record your answer speak authentically – we can tell if you are reading notes! And, no need to memorize an answer to the Kellogg question… it might make you sound like a robot.
Q: What kind of questions will you ask?
A: We are going to be honest about this. Really. We don't want you to stress. We will ask you one icebreaker question, with no “right answer”, to help us get to know you. Want an example? Okay. "If you could live anywhere in the world for a year, where would it be and why?" See, not so hard. The second question will be about Kellogg. And to make this even less mysterious we are going to give you the question. Seriously. Here it is: “What path are you interested in pursuing, how will you get there, and why is this program right for you?” The other questions will be interview-type questions but still not something to worry about. Here is an example of the type of question you will be asked, “Tell me about a time you were not going to be able to meet a deadline. How did you handle the situation? What was the outcome?”
Q: Are there right or wrong answers?
A: No. This isn't a test. We use the video essay to gain additional information about you and get to know you in a more personal way. Don't have a perfect answer to the question? Do not panic! Answer it the best way you can and let your personality shine.
Q: How many times can I record myself?
A: You can practice recording yourself as many times as you want and the practice experience (format and types of questions) will be identical to the actual experience. But, when it comes to getting your actual video essay questions, you will only have one try. So practice. We know you like to be prepared! Get comfortable with the technology. We put good practice questions out there so you won't be nervous. Have fun and do your best.
Q: Really, I don't get a second chance?
A: Nope, sorry. This is a bit like an interview. Sometimes in an interview you are asked a question and you don't have the perfect answer, but you go ahead and give the best response you can. And, most of the time, it turns out well. That's what this is. Take a deep breath before you start and be confident in yourself and your ability to give a great answer.
Q: How much time will I have to think of a response and how long will I have to give my answer?
A: You will have 20 seconds to think of your response and 60 seconds to give your answer. We suggest you practice. It will make this easier. Take 10 minutes to go through the practice questions. Answer them as if they were your real questions. The more you practice the more comfortable you will feel doing the real video essays.
Q: What should I wear? Do I have to wear a suit?
A: You can wear a suit if you want to; but business casual is certainly okay with us too. And really, we will only see your head and shoulders so you can wear a collared shirt and we would never know you were still in your sweatpants.
Q: Where should I record my video essay?
A: Wherever you like - your office, kitchen, apartment, hotel room. Just make sure you pick a place where you have a good internet connection and no distractions.
Q: What part of the application process is the video essay? How do I access the Video Essay?
A: After submitting your application, the Video Essay will be available when you log in to your applicant status page.
Q: How much time will I have to complete the video essays?
A: After submitting your application you will be given access to the Video Essay component and will have 48 hours after the application is due to complete the Video Essay. We encourage applicants to complete their Video Essay shortly after submitting the application while information is still fresh in your mind and so you don’t forget! Also, please try not to wait for the last possible moment to record your video essay - it will feel more stressful if you are doing it at the last minute and in a rush. Block out 20-25 minutes a few days after you submit your application and complete it.
Q: How long will this take me?
A: To be safe we are saying 20-25 minutes, but we think 15 if you decide not to do all the practice questions and don't have any questions on the set-up.
Deadlines & Notifications
Round 1 - Sept 20, 2017
Round 2 - Jan 10, 2018
Round 3 - April 11, 2018
Round 1 - Dec 13, 2017
Round 2 - March 28, 2018
Round 3 - May 16, 2018
Pages in Admissions:
Pages in Full-Time MBA Program
As a JD-MBA student, you’ll participate in the same classes and coursework as your counterparts seeking only the MBA or law degree. Our strong MBA core curriculum creates a well-balanced academic foundation.
You may opt to choose from seven majors during your MBA studies: Accounting, Economics, Finance, Marketing, Operations, Strategy and Managing Organizations. A major requires that a student complete the core course for the major and a minimum of four electives. If you choose not to elect a major, “General Management” will be noted on your transcript.
We believe that this approach gives our students the flexibility and guidance they need to carve out a unique intellectual experience that is relevant to their specific educational and career goals.
In addition to majors, Kellogg provides “pathways” to our students who are interested in building expertise in emerging areas and evolving industries.
A pathway is an integrated, cross-functional sequence of courses designed to address a particular skill set or industry for which there is active student and recruiter demand. You have the flexibility to pursue any number of pathways and go as deep as you’d like into each one.
Explore pathways for Data Analytics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Scaling, Health Enterprise Management, Real Estate, Social Impact and Venture Capital & Private Equity. Learn more >
Applies to Full-Time students who matriculate June 2015 or after.