Art history research paper topics and their writing processes differ from other college and university academic papers that students are assigned to write. In such papers you make the necessary arguments concerning the things you see; to be more precise you interpret visual information into verbal information. To write a really good research paper on art history, you should be familiar with the terms needed to describe the work of art and it is extremely important to choose appropriate art history research paper topics.
Art History Research Paper Topics: Types
You can cover your art history research paper in 2 ways:
- Narrative – the description of the facts concerning the topic, which is based on opinions and facts.
- Analytical – the presented argument should be supported by the evidence.
Art History Research Paper Topics: Renaissance
Choosing the Renaissance period as their art history research paper topics, students usually pay special attention to Michelangelo’s style. You can compare several of his early works with his later works and discuss the factors which changed his style of painting.
It is also recommended to evaluate Leonardo Da Vinci’s career and his influence on art.
Art History Research Paper Topics: Far East
The Buddhist architecture and Indian sculpture and painting are inexhaustible topics for research papers on art. You can compare Indian, Japanese and Chinese visual arts and point out differences and similarities between them.
Art History Research Paper Topics: Middle Ages. Gothic and Romanesque
This is a large field for discussions and descriptions, for example, you can compare buildings of the Romanesque architecture, explain the role of illuminated manuscripts in art, etc.
Art History Research Paper Topic Examples
- Main similarities and differences between the Art Nouveau and Art Deco styles.
- Features of sculptures in ancient Greece. The influence of science on sculptures.
- The role of Mughal paintings in forming the image of the Mughal kings in India.
- Biblical motives in Leonardo da Vinci’s early paintings.
- Surrealism in Salvador Dali’s sculptures.
- The origin of the traditional Japanese and Chinese costumes and their impacts on culture.
- Key changes in methodology in paintings at the epoch of Impressionism. The differences in paintings of two impressionists: Edgar Degas and Claude Monet.
- The main features of late Baroque architecture (c. 1660 – c. 1725)
- The history of creating The Death of Sardanapalus and its place in Eugène Delacroix’s paintings.
- Different mannerisms in Pablo Picasso’s paintings, from Art Nouveau to Cubism: evolution, or just separate periods in his oeuvre?
- The combination of different art styles in the extraordinary painting The Kiss by Gustav Klimt.
- Various interpretations of The Starry Night by Vincent van Gogh.
- Ancient Greek motifs in Michelangelo’s sculpture, David.
- The psychology of color in Kazimir Malevich’s works.
- Realistic and artificial motifs in Jasper John’s Flag.
- Why was Renaissance art so overwhelmed with Christian symbols and themes?
- Was Hitler’s artwork actually good?
- Is the majority of modern art a scam?
- What was the influence of the Industrial Revolution on art development?
- What is so special about the carving The Veiled Virgin?
- What were the main reasons of the Roman artistic style shift in the 4th century?
- How were Victorian beauty standards depicted?
- What is so special about the light in Monet’s Sunrise?
- What were the primary aims of the camera obscura and how did it change throughout the years?
- Compare the critiquing styles of Clement Greenberg and Harold Rosenberg.
- What are the peculiar features of Art Deco hotels in French Indochina?
- Was sculpture art the main business in Venice?
- The connection between French caricatures of the 19th century and Goya’s prints.
- What is so unusual and unique in Russian icons?
- The evolution of the uncovered body in paintings of various periods and countries.
You may also be interested in other research paper topics that cover various disciplines.
Art History Research Paper Topics Help
Most college and university students feel overwhelmed when they receive an assignment to write a research paper on art; if you are one of them, apply for help from EssayShark.com and receive a perfect opportunity to get a good paper within your time deadline. Your supervisor will be definitely impressed by it. EssayShark.com employs only professional writers with perfect writing skills and experience, so there is no need to worry about the papers quality and originality. All research papers are plagiarism-free and sold only once. With this custom writing service you’ll definitely be the best in your group or class. What should you do? Just place an order and write:
- Paper topic.
- Number of pages.
- Academic level.
- Personal requirements.
List Of Interesting College Art History Research Paper Topics
Art has been a part of human civilization since the days of the first cave dwellers and maybe even before then. Collectors have been known to pay fortunes for a single piece and one can understand why when they value some of the more famous pieces. Our history is also closely tied to many pieces of art and they continue providing many clues to our early existence.
When conducting any research, the topic is just as important as the content and one should always place some thought into its selection. The following is a list of interesting college art history research paper topics for your consideration:
- How has fighting and human glory contributed to art throughout history.
- Art in motion picture versus paintings and sculptures of long ago.
- Portraits of single persons and their value to society.
- Why is nature not more common in great masterpieces compared to the occurrence of humans and faces?
- The contribution of the newly discovered western world to our modern art collections.
- What role did paintings play in the societies of ancient civilizations?
- Why so many paintings depict great leaders compared to other persons.
- What were the main inspirations for great artists during the service for the great leaders of their times?
- The value of paintings when they were created compared to what they are now.
- The great cathedrals and the inspiration that guided their design.
- The leaning tower of Pisa, a mistake or art?
- The presence of art in society and its connection to the prosperity of a nation.
- How the Renaissance period changed the world of art and the world itself as a result.
- The real vikings versus their depictions in classical art and drama. How art can not always be trusted.
- The most talented artists of the 15th century and their contribution to the art movement.
- The effect that the tools available to the artist can have on their ability to create great pieces.
- Is there any artistic value in the devices and experiments conducted by the earliest scientists of the 16th century?
- How the Colosseum was created and evolved throughout history to what it is today.
- The challenges faced by early artists as a result of pressures from society to be a professional of a more respectable discipline.
- The value of American art versus that of European art forms and why?